Facilities that fall into the following categories need to submit an annual biosolids report to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) by Dec. 31, 2021, and an annual report to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by Feb. 19, 2022. Both of these reports will be based on the cropping year.

  • Municipal facilities with a design flow rate equal to or greater than 1 million gallons per day
  • Municipal facilities that serve 10,000 people or more
  • Other facilities required to report (also known as “Class I sludge management facilities”)

Note: The federal reports are only for municipal facilities, not industrial facilities.

For questions with the federal report, contact EPA’s help desk: NPDESeReporting@epa.gov or 1-877-227-8965. Additional information regarding the federal report can be found at EPA Biosolids Annual Program Report .

All municipal facilities, no matter design flow, in Minnesota that manage biosolids (if you aren’t sure, refer to your NPDES/SDS permit) are required to submit a biosolids annual report to the MPCA by Dec. 31, 2021. Please note that even if you didn’t land apply during the 2021 cropping year, a biosolids annual report still needs to be submitted.

State reports must be submitted electronically

Submit the state biosolids annual report electronically by e-mail. For the cover letter, use the Water Quality Submittals Form. Email both the cover letter and report to wq.submittals.mpca@state.mn.us.

Contact Sherry Bock at the MPCA (sheryl.bock@pca.state.mn, phone 218-316-3882) or Cole Huggins (cole.huggins@state.mn.us, phone 218-316-3928) with any questions.